Vocation: Pet Care Specialist, Owner of Playpals and PlaypalsNYC
Location: New York, NY
1. What do you currently do now and how did you end up here? Any pit stops along the way and did those pit stops help you get to the career and woman you are now?
I'm currently working on starting my dog walking & pet sitting business again in New York (www.playpalsnyc.com). I got the idea a couple of years ago and it was one of the best things that have ever happened to me! I was living in London at the time, but I wasn't really happy with my job and I knew I needed a change. I knew that I had to find something that I'm passionate about and enjoy doing in order to be happy and fulfilled.
I've always loved animals, I had a dog and a cat growing up and I really missed having them in my life. I knew that people did dog walking and I always had the idea in the back of my mind, but never really acted on it... It was that one afternoon when I was sitting at home, thinking of my life...It hit me! I was going to start my own dog walking and pet sitting business - I would spend time with animals, (which makes me happy) and I can have a successful business! Since that day, I worked hard on building it, acquiring new customers, advertising and providing the best service I possibly could.
I've learned so much since I started my business! It's been an incredible journey - there were ups and downs, but I've thoroughly enjoyed the experience! My dogs and cats and their owners were amazing and I felt so lucky! The whole expreince had a great impact on my life and led me to the woman I am today. Wouldn't be the same without it!
2. What are your current gaps, barriers, facilitators, or motivators? Any of those in particular that helped you along the way?
My persistence and perseverance helped me the most along the way! I felt inspired by what I was doing and I just kept at it. I've been working on scheduling and self-discipline, as it is so easy to procrastinate.
I would say that practicing yoga had great effect on me too. It improved my focus, awareness and my drive. Also, I love reading books, listening to podcasts, discovering new experiences and traveling - these would be my motivators.
Being positive and not complaining are things that im working at - these would be my 2 main gaps.
3. What is your ideal state / dream state of being as a woman in your career and a woman in this world? How will you get there?
My dream is to help as many animals as possible! I will do that educating owners, training dogs, providing great care for each and every furry customer. Also, I dream about opening up shelters for stray animals in my home country - Bulgaria, there is a huge need! I'll get there with time, as my business grows and progresses.
4. What common misconceptions do you find about your field, your life, about women in general?
It would be the question - Are we as capable as men? Which is so a thing of the past!
5. Any advice or tips & tricks you want to give to a younger you? Whether it be how to apt hunt on craigslist to getting your shoes cobbled to getting a work mentor etc
1. Live in the now/be present
2. Focus on what you have and be grateful for it
3. Find your passion and do more of it
4. Surround yourself with great people
5. Look for somebody to help
6. Be curious
BONUS QUESTION: What should lead your life: passion or pragmatism? (general thoughts, could be a convergence, could be one or the other!)
My first choice would be passion. When we experience it we feel alive, it is a strong driving power and could be quite unique, but I wouldn't recommend it by itself. Being thoughtful could save you a lot of trouble and regrets, so its all about finding the balance! :)